Saturday, October 19, 2013

What is an American?

     To be honest, I didn't really know where to start with this question, so I decided to looked up the definition of an American.  Most of the answers were simply "a citizen of the United States of America," or something of that nature. With some time to think, I decided that this definition was only half right.
I had first thought about how I identify myself as an American.  I realized that not only do I identify myself as an American because I am a citizen, but also because I embody the things that I believe most Americans embody.   For example, most Americans are not only 'American,' but instead they have a very reach cultural background and their families often come from all over the world. Along with being an American, I also consider myself German because thats where my ancestors came from.   You are still able to identify yourself as an American even if your Family hasn't lived here for generations.       
I also believe that 'American' can't be put into one set definition.  Whom I may think qualifies as an American may differ from your idea of an American.  So, I think that the questions 'What is an American?' is really an opinion-based question.  So my Opinion is that to be considered an American, you simply have to identify as an one.  

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your introduction, because you compared what the "definition of American" is to what it actually is in your perspective. I think it sheds light on the idea that there is no real definition, which makes this such a interesting prompt. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #TeamGerman lol but I understand what you mean. America really has no specific indentification other than the laws we live by. But we are, as we learned, a "melting pot" of cultures

    ReplyDelete